Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Conners Palate



My son had the following choices for dinner last night...he just had to chose which vegetable he wanted. The choices are as follows including their alternate Conner-ese names:

Broccoli - trees
Cauliflower - tiny treats
Zucchini - zucchini
Asparagus - sticks

He chose: sticks.

Today, as I was on the computer, he went about his usual business of trying to find something to eat. It usually is something that he knows I will say no to, but since I am on the computer he tends to think I am a push-over or something. So he wanted a
toaster struddle - aka froodle. I said, no, those were for breakfast, yeah I know, they are "great" nutritionally . But next thing I know he is in the freezer and he pulls out something even more nutritionally sound. Cheese cake bites. You know the ones you buy at Sam's that come with like 60 little bits and 3 different flavors...and they make them small so you don't feel guilty eating them.

"Mom, what are these?" he says innocently. Like his little 4 year old mind can't recognize them as treats or something.

"Those are cheesecake bits" Hesitating, I have an internal mommy debate...these aren't any better or worse than froodles, but at least I wouldn't have to toast and frost it for him. "Would you like one?" I break down and say.

He of course brightens immediately and proceeds to eat two. His preference? The plain New York cheesecake ones.

He also tends to ask for/like (in a relative order of preference) salmon, strawberries, grapefruit (every morning for breakfast), steak, prime rib, other fish, fried shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower, grapes, crepes, baby carrots, mashed/baked potatoes, perfect cooked chicken, rice and in general any adult foods that are not mixed.

So my four year old has an adult palate you think?

Well, until you ask him what his favorite food is: Wendy's chicken nuggets, honey mustard, fries and ketchup...in that order.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

He looks sooo much like his daddy! What a cute boy!