Thursday, April 24, 2008

My wedding ring

In response to a friend's blog about how she didn't really baby her wedding ring


I am with you, or at least I think I would be if I ever wore mine. Sad huh?

I babied it when we were first married, and I still don't like to make bread in it, mostly because mine has obvious crevices which are a pain to get the dough out of and very obvious if I don't.

I also took it off to baby my firstborn, not the ring, but because I was so terrified to scratch him. But just while he was little.

In fact, I almost lost my diamond into a poopy diaper once. I really should have lost it. My prongs were completely bent away and I just happened to glance at my hand in time to quickly pull my hand away from the mess. I striped the ring right then and finished changing the diaper. Thankfully Conner didn't run away in the process.

After I got it fixed, (it had to have a completely new head and this time we went for the thicker prongs instead of the ones that went with the design of the ring), it was gorgeous again. It is amazing what happens to a knife edged platinum band that has been polished after being abused for a couple of years. The pic above shows it with the tiny, skinny, faux double prongs, which because I don't baby my ring, I no longer have on mine.

Thankfully, I have never had to remove it during pregnancy because of swelling or anything.

I have had it cleaned a few times, but nothing regular.

I absolutely love my ring. Steve picked it out entirely by himself. He only asked which diamond cuts I preferred. It was elegantly simple, or at least I thought so. He even knew to get me a solitaire setting. And then he surprised me in the temple with the matching band, which I didn't think I needed/wanted, until he surpised me with it and I knew it was perfect.

So why don't I wear it so often? I am not sure. I got out of the habit when it bugged me while I was sleeping during this pregnancy and then I would forget to put it back on. So now I run around wearing no ring at least half the time. Least you worry that I might have some dude try to hit on me, you needn't....because currently I am a bulbous, large as a barge pregnant lady and for the last couple of weeks at least, wearing no contacts and no makeup, looking most days like I have been run through the wash...

Maybe I will remind myself to put it back on when I feel a little more worthy of its "simple elegance".

No comments: