Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The passing of a moment...


You know how your first car always made you feel like you could conquer the world? Or at least something along those lines. It was like a passage to adulthood, a symbol of who you were (or weren't in some cases).

Well, my first car was a beautiful Honda Accord coupe. It was sporty, it was flirty/sassy, and it took me where ever I wanted to go. It also attracted my husband to me...just kidding. He just teases me that he thought he was getting some rich, spoiled daddy's girl until he realized I bought it myself. I was carefree and single and "NEEDED" this car to get me where I wanted to go.

That little honda is full of special moments. The moment my roommates and I wanted to go to a movie but no one else would drive because the roads were so treacherous. It was with me the moment I got my first (and only) speeding ticket. It took me on the "excruciatingly" long moments drive from Logan to Soda, through blurry tears to tell Steve not to leave (he did anyway, but that is a story for another day).

Well, that moment and many others have passed. It needed to pass when we first got our Taurus (about 5 years ago), and it didn't. It needed to pass again at various times since then. And it REALLY needed to pass about 6 months ago when we got our Sequoia. Especially since that meant we had three cars and two drivers and a much bigger car insurance bill than we wanted. At this point it really NEEDED to pass.

Today it finally passed. We sold my "first moments" behind the wheel to the lowest (at least that is how it felt to me) bidder....actually I am sure that no bid could have been high enough sentimentally....never mind that I have not actually driven it more than once in a blue moon for almost 4 years.

Good bye little Honda full of memories. We will miss your "bark". Your "chirp" and the latest "honk". Hello Sequoia. I am sure we will "tank" in many ways more than one, our way through motherhood's moments!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

It is so funny how you get attached to cars! I feel the same way everytime nick and I sell our cars. Especially my '91 accord that I had through highschool and college! Oh the memories!

Shannon said...

I know just what you mean. I loved my Mia the Kia and now love my Jane Fonda the Honda. Cars do contain memories. I guess the beauty of a new one is we get to make new memories...

Craner Family said...

We just sold my "baby." My Subaru was my first "car..." and I cried when the 18 year old drove off with it.