Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My to DIe for find!

So I was running errands today and had to drop some stuff off at D.I. Since I had never been in the new Logan D.I. I decided what they heck, let's go in and look around.

I went back to the collectibles area and came across this really simple but quite pretty China. It is cream Lenox china with slight swirl and platinum edging. It was $30 for 4 dinner plates, 4 salad plates, 4 cups and saucers, and then only 2 soup/fruit bowls. Mint condition. No chips, no scratches, looks like it spent the last 40 years in some old lady's china hutch, never getting used! Quite the steal I thought, even though I would have no use for it seeing as you actually have to HAND WASH china, particularly really old china. But I bought it anyway.

Steve suggested I go google/ebay it and see if I could find 2 more soup/fruit bowls or any other pieces. Well, that part was easy. I found some dinner plates for relatively inexpensive ($15 each plus shipping) but even that sounds steep when you consider I only paid $30 for the rest of it. I even found a whole other place setting for around $45 but still no bowls. Finally I found one and it was $50 plus shipping for a little bitty bowl 5" by 1.5". And all the serving stuff to match ran into the hundreds of dollars each...So I guess I won't be completing my steal of a deal china set anytime soon.

All in all, I feel like I made a very decent investment today! Now to find a place for the box to collect dust.

6 comments:

Deidra said...

Sounds similar, but my China wasn't quite Lennox quality. But, we made up for it in mass quantity.

Ashley said...

Cool find! Post a picture--I want to see it!

Anonymous said...

You should take them to some antique show and lie to them- tell them that you found the china on an excursion to the far East. Then that might up the value a little. You can get their new value certified and then sell them on Ebay for tons more! Just a suggestion.

Ward & Brianne said...

What a find! I laughed out loud at your last comment. I applaud your honesty!

Erin said...

wheres the picture, i want to see your steal! but it sounds awesome.

Shannon said...

Gotta love the DI! Sounds like you got a steal of a deal.