Friday, February 08, 2008

New Sewing Machine


For my birthday my mom bought me a new sewing machine. It is very simple. And by simple I mean, that I know how to sew straight lines and the sewing machine is good to me when I do. I do believe that it might do a buttonhole, or change stitches, but I wouldn't know what I would need those things for...so this is perfect for me a beginning sewer.

That being said, I need some projects. Please leave comments with links, or send me an email with your ideas or projects. I love projects (aprons, totes, quilts, pajama pants etc.) Things that can be done in a day and are relatively inexpensive.

In less than a week I have wanted to sew every day. However, I feel slightly limited (or spoiled) from my mom and mother-in-laws homes. I think I had the following before this week:
1-2 spool thread,
a small needle
some crochet threads,
crochet needles
seam ripper - used once on something that was not sewn by anyone I know

Not such a great list when you want to work on a sewing machine and actually complete a project.
This week I have gone and bought a few essentials...
- sewing scissors (although they are not ginghers because my visiting teacher who makes custom wedding gowns told me to wait until they go on sale)-good thing too because I thought $40 was a little steep for scissors
- three spools thread 2 white and one black - these can be added to my grey and brown one - i Know, quite the collection, I am sure you are all jealous
- some bias tape for the aprons I will show pics of in another post - comment for the easy pattern
- Fabric, who would have thought you need that?- way to go Walmart and Joann's for their $1-$2 yd fabric for a beginner to practice on

What I need from my readers (those of you who actually ever read this):

1. Ideas for projects and their info
2. Ideas on how to expand my sewing tools for cheap - stores, coupons, web links, etc. Wish list includes gingher scissors, rotary cutter and rulers (I have a mat unused before this), one of those insider-out wire tool thingys, fabrics, project patterns, I don't want much do I?
3. Suggestions for tools I might need that I didn't know I might need.

3 comments:

Deidra said...

I'd just get what you need as you need it. No need to get all sorts of stuff you'll never need. (Your thread seems to be sufficient for general things. When you need more colors, you'll add them to the collection.) And use the 40% off coupons at JoAnn's for the big ticket items.

Natalie said...

hey girl. Fun to chat the other day. I just would add to your list a rotary cutter, a mat and a big plastic ruler. This has come in handy for my table runners that I recently made. I guess it depends on what you are sewing, but these have made my life easier ;)

Kristin Hanson said...

I'll write you an email- my recommendations and projects will be too long for here. But I'm sure you knew that ;)