Friday, February 08, 2008

First Projects

I was at my mom's when I got my new toy

Thankfully she has literally huge rubbermaids full of scrap material. So I decided a new apron for conner was in order.

I had an idea for a pattern from one of mine that I got as a shower gift when I got married and never had any need for until the post-children drop (aka suddenly spilling more than I ever had before). This is appropriate because I am apparently setting a good clean cook example for Conner because he insists on wearing his every time he helps. Unfortunately, the one grandma made 2 Christmases ago was a little small and always drooped a little too low around the neck.

So I cut a pattern out of newspaper. And proceeded to fake like I knew what I was doing. Thankfully my mom was there to save me from any necessary or unnecessary seam ripping.

Here is the finished product, modeled by the handsome and charming Conner and sorry to cut of his head and no he is not flipping you off, he is showing you his bandaid.


I was pretty excited at it's turn out. It is reversible front to back and inside out (kind of).

It made me think of Polly. Steve's sister. She is a self-professed bum-wipe cook...no nothing vulgar, she just can't really use traditional styled aprons because she always wipes her hands on her backside or back legs, habit she says. So I wanted to make her one that was extra long in the back and extra wide for her hands to wipe on. But I didn't have an adult model for the pattern so instead I tried making a smaller one for my niece.

It turned out darling as well.

Materials needed:
1/2 - 1 yd fabric in at least 2 colors, depending on size you want to make.
double fold bias tape

The basic instructions: (for me to remember as much as for anyone else to use):
1. Cut a similar shaped pattern out of newspaper (I actually cut half of it on the fold and then it was symmetrical). Some basic measurements to help get started are from top of shoulder to waist (where you want it to tie) and from waist to where you want it to hit. Then across the chest as wide as you need it. And across one shoulder for how wide you want the straps.
2. If the pattern is the size you want, cut it out four times on any kind of material you want to use. I just used light weight cotton/cotton blends. So that all pieces are the same shape. Once again use the fold to make it symmetrical. Set aside.
3. Cut four strips about 2.5 to 3" wide and the length that you want. These are for the side ties. Fold right sides together and sew the length and across one width. Then turn them inside out and iron flat.
4. Lay out two of your pattern pieces, right sides together and sew across the top at the straps. This should create a hole for the head and neck. Repeat with the other two pieces. This creates the front and back of the apron. Lay them out right sides together on top of each other, matching the seams at the shoulder that you just sewed.
5. Slip the four ties (step#3) in between the two pieces at the place you want it to tie. Make sure they are straight out and the seams on the ties point to the bottom. And pin them in place.
6. Pin the whole thing, making sure sides and bottoms line up as well as possible.
7. Sew around the whole apron, leaving the neck area open.
8. Turn it inside out. You should now have all the seams inside and the right sides of the material out. the side ties should also be out.
9. Iron flat.
10. Finish stitch all around the outside, close to the edge. I used a zig-zag because I could and because it expanded my sewing in a straight line skills :)
11. Finish the neck with your bias tape. I like the extra wide double fold because it is a lot easier and I don't have to pin it.
12. Viola...it is finished!

No comments: