Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Changes...

I am having an internal debate. To lock up the blog or not to lock up the blog....

It would seem that half of my blogging buddies are doing it. Maybe for good reason, maybe they are paranoid, I don't know. Also, I know some readers, Steve, my mom, steves mom, and other unknowns are not regular bloggers but they like to keep up with our blog and locking it up would be kind of annoying for them...
So I am asking for everyone's two cents about this issue...in helping me decide what to do.

My biggest concerns are as follows:

If I could control what was said about my blog everywhere else, then maybe I would leave my blog public. But unfortunately I can't. Since I can't control pertinent information like last names, living locations, web links, due dates, birthdays, etc., I decided I better make my blog private. Some may think this is paranoid (maybe I am), but it makes me feel better about what kind of info I am posting out the great wide void. Mostly things about my kids. I feel bad that this adds another step....

my solution...get a gmail account and do all your blog browsing on the reader function. It is fabulous (thanks Nikkala for alerting me to it). No more clicking the links and then the back button. It just alerts you to anything new on any website you are interested in! Saves a lot of time, but that is a soapbox post for another day...

Anyway, ....
please leave a comment answering the "to lock or not to lock?" question!..." I am quite curious...

8 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

Well, you already know my answer, but my reasons were much the same. Kathy has an account set up to look at ours, so don't worry too much about that. I did it to keep the crazies away and to keep my life private. I don't like not knowing who is blurking.

Nikkala said...

I quit reading blogs once they are "invite only". If that makes any difference....

Ashley said...

As long as I can get in, I support you either way.

Stacy said...

Well I guess Nikkala gave you an ultimatum! I guess we will find out if you really want to keep in touch with her!! JK. I don't really get what the big deal is, but I think you can never be to cautious. (and maybe it is different when you have kids) I have been seeing more and more of the blogs being locked up. It would be nice to know who is looking at your site. Anyways, there is my two cents....

Brooke S said...

Ah... the power of the internet... This is a debate that I have had for a while too; however, if I lock my blog, long lost friends will never stumble into my blog because they can't verify they know me, if my pictures aren't available. And vice versa.

PS How does Steve like being Lumiere? Have they started rehearsals yet?

Kylene said...

My two cents; lock it. Not only can anyone see your pic's but they can take them too. All they have to do is click on them and save them to their own computer. Crazy, psychos are out there using them for anything they want. My friend also had a RS president telling them to be careful because she had a guy roaming their ward building looking for kids he had seen on a blog. Ya can't be too careful when it comes to your family.

Anonymous said...

I don't worry about mine being open... I may feel different if I had kids and was posting things about them on there.

D-dawg said...

I'll admit I don't check private blogs because I do google reader and they don't show up on that so I forget about them. I would prefer you not to go private but you have to do what is best for you! It is a big decision... I've thought about it alot. If you do go private you must give me an invite!