Tuesday, November 04, 2008

What do you do?

What do you do when you are disappointed in something you can't change? Granted I was not an ardent supporter of either candidate, however, I did experience a bit of let down with the presidential election results.
It made me wonder if this is how people felt when George Bush was elected. I read an interesting blog post with the following quote. I will preface this by saying I did not check the source, just assumed it was corrected.
"We engage in the election the same as in any other principle: you are to vote for good men...Choose the good and refuse the evil... Don't fear man or devil; electioneer with all people, male and female, and exhort them to do the thing that is right. We want a President of the U. S., not a party President, but a President of the whole people; for a party President disfranchises the opposite party. Have a President who will maintain every man in his rights." (History of the Church, Vol.6, Ch.15, p.323)


I, particularly, was moved by the part about a President of the whole people, rather than a "party" president, for it does leave people feeling disfranchised. Our nation is great because of our predecessors. And by this, I do not mean merely our presidents, rather all those good people who stood up for what was right and then went out and supported leaders who did the same.

So whether I think Obama will be good or bad for our country is, for the time being, irrelevant. For I can only continue to do what I believe is right and be an example to others to do the same.

2 comments:

danniellespackman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naomi said...

Hey Steve & Emily,
Emily, I think I met you once, but this is Naomi from New Horizons- I was on the dance team with Steve. I found your blog from Dave & Mindi's. It's so fun to get in touch with old friends! Our family blog is www.nestoravens.blogspot.com
Your family is just darling!