Friday, October 19, 2007

Mothers Who Know

So I heard mention of some critical comments about Sis Beck's talk at conference. There was even a Salt Lake Tribune article about the flurry it stirred up. Personally, I was quite moved by the reaffirmation of all that I am trying to do, keeping in mind the meaning of the word "try". I know that much of what she said was not conventional in this world today, even necessarily in the lives of women in the church. I hope that I can be 'valiant' in being a mother who knows. And in supporting other current or future mothers in their efforts. I hope that I will be able to withstand making judgements of those who may not agree.
Wish me luck and I would love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

D-dawg said...

I feel the same way! Her talk totally inspired me to do better and try harder. I never understand how people can be critical of the leaders of the church. When they stand up there to speak to us you can just feel their love coming through the screen. And I know everything they say is inspired... so that is what God wants us to be doing. Sorry to go on and on but I loved her talk.

Nikkala said...

I loved Sis. Beck's talk. Don't we all need to be better--and not only good, but the best. That was my favorite part-that we should be the best, because we should. Its a lot of pressure, but if the church can raise the bar for missionaries, why can't it raise the bar for the sisters in the church? She never said the bar was being raised, but that is what I got from the talk. Her talk made me want to do better for sure.

Kristin Hanson said...

Amen. With our baby on the way, I've been overwhelmed with all the responsibility and the scary thought of how we will make ends meet with out me working as much or not at all. Sis. Beck's talk was just what I needed to hear! I hope that I can be a "Mother Who Knows" and not a clueless one! :)

Shannon said...

Hey Em!
Steve didn't get the shutdown. I asked for a rain check since I had already been invited to someone else's for dinner. I would love to hang out with you guys more. Let's get together soon and please come to my jewelry party on Wednesday night 6:30-8:30. You don't have to buy any jewelry if you don't want to, but come and hang out. I am having a chocolate fountain. Yummy!

Kristin Hanson said...

Congrats on that one thing :)