Thursday, July 19, 2007

Procrastination...

So I was tagged a while ago (or so it may seem in blog world) to list 7 random things. I have been putting it off because I wasn't entirely sure I could think of 7 random things that people either would want to know or didn't already know about me. For that matter it is highly likely that I had already blogged about anything of real value to you, the reader, but here goes, who knows, this might end up being a work in progress....

1. I went to 10 schools before I was in 9th grade and I turned out ok (correct me if I am wrong)...so don't be afraid to move your kids. They adjust.

2. I like to read instruction manuals. I read any instructions for anything and everything, even if I have already figured it out without them. I read them anyways. And I read them all the way through. Sometimes more than once. Steve prefers to just go ahead and do it himself, so when he gets stuck, I ended up saying the cliche "well, if you would just read the instructions..."

3. Up until a month ago, I have been in Young Women for 5 years and yet never been to girls' camp as a leader, a story for another time. In fact, Steve will make it to girls' camp before me (as a high counselor). I have been Beehive advisor clear to Stake YW presidency. I am now in Primary...I consider any prior learning in YW completely useless in dealing with 4 and 5 year old little boys/girls in my CTR 5 class (except maybe to rely on the Spirit).

4. I am blind as a bat....almost literally, meaning that my other senses including sound and touch are better than my eyes when without my glasses (I have to pay extra to have them thinned enough to put into wire frames) or contacts. Lasic (sp?)... hear I come.

5. I would rather cook than do dishes any day. I don't measure (except with choco chip cookies-which I am anal about measurement). I don't worry about how many dishes I am dirtying when I cook which is probably why I don't like to clean up after cooking....thank heaven's for Steve.

6. I read and read and read and read. I read somewhere that most people read approx 10-15 pages/hour of average adult-level reading (not medical journals or textbooks obviously). Based on my experience with my lastest book, I read approximately (and I was shocked to realize that this wasn't an exaggeration) 100+ pages an hour. In fact, I have been known to finish an average novel in about 2 hours. Unfortunately for me, I have a hard time stopping the reading...must be slightly OCD. I have been trying this summer to change from novels to more informative reading figuring my time would be better well spent, plus I find it easy to quit reading BEFORE I finish the book.

7. I had an amniocentesis when pregnant with Bella. My two-bits: if you know you would never go for an elective abortion, you have no risk factors and you don't NEED to know what's going on. Don't bother. In fact, stay away! Otherwise, be prepared for the actual procedure to be relatively painless and the afterpains barely worth the peace of mind.

I am going to go with Nikki's cop-out here, since most of you that I know have possibly been tagged already....if you are reading this, consider yourself tagged!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

That was a great list!

Jamie said...

I do remember you reading a lot! I'm the opposite with instruction manuals-That is so funny that you always read them-You are a smart cookie Emily!
Love, Jamie

Kristin Hanson said...

Ok, so I am realizing that we who have married a Hanson boy are more and more alike than I thought. We obviously have similar physical charateristics, but it seems to go deeper than that. In a way, it's a little strange that we have so much in common, but on the other hand, just shows that Kathy reared them right :) Consider myself tagged, huh? Ok, if you insist...

D-dawg said...

Emily, I am the same with reading. Sometimes I can't start a book until I know I have NOTHING going on that whole day and maybe the next day cause once I start reading I don't do anything else until the book is done. I'm just not patient enough to read a little at a time I guess.