Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Warning: Keep your distance

So I would like to take a straw poll, but first I would like to preface all this by saying, Steve says I should be careful what I tell people or I might end up with nicknames I don't like.

First question...Have you ever been bull's eyed by a bird? You know, like they show in comics. Bird flys over, takes aim and splat right on the head? I mean how many people go their WHOLE lives and never have this experience.

Second question...How many of you actually know someone that this has happened to? Ok, how many of you know two such persons?

Third question...How many of you know some to whom this has happened more than once? How about twice in a very short period of time?

Well, lets just say that the first time this happened to me (not very long ago) I was casually putting Conner in the car, I leaned back out into the open, and WHAM out of nowhere I felt a large splat right on my head, followed by the accompanying splatters over clothes and car, which is what cued me in on what had just hit me, because I didn't know what had happened. I thought, "is it raining or something?"

Thinking that this was hardly blog worthy, I satisfied my surprise and amazement that this event actually does occur by promptly calling my parents and spouse, (actually Conner did and his version of what happened was highly entertaining and caused spontaneous gut laughs from all who heard it). I also thought that I would probably never in casual conversation have reason to compare experiences like this with someone (thinking it a quite rare occurrence) and so promptly forgot about it.

Well, low and behold, it is now approximately 2-3 months later and I am blogging about it because this has happened to me, not once, but TWICE and in a short period of time. How crazy is that? The most recent time was on Memorial day. I was freshly showered and we were wandering around the cemetery when, splat, again the familiar splatters...this time I didn't wonder if it was raining. I never imagined that I would have two such encounters in my whole life. I supposed this will be a great way to introduce myself at large events or family gatherings where they ask questions like, "Tell us something unique about yourself."

Maybe this is why I am having a hard time keeping a morning walking partner! Consider yourself warned!!

4 comments:

Erin said...

okay, this has happened to me...when I was in 7th grade. but not on my head...down what little cleavage I had...i kid you not. Then a couple years later...the same thing happened to this girl that I was eating lunch with...down her cleavage...she had a a lot. so don't hang around me because apparently birds aim for that not the head when you're around me.

emalina49a said...

I am so relieved to hear that it has happened to more than just me...but apparently you and I would be a fairly bad combination!

Erin said...

I would agree with that! lets stay away from the seagulls!

Nikkala said...

I have never experienced it, but when I was younger and we were at the beach it happened to Karisa. I'm not sure she has ever recovered.